Roman Słowiński, Ph. D., Dr Habil., Professor
Poznań University of Technology
Institute of Computing Science
Laboratory of Intelligent Decision Support Systems
Piotrowo 2, 60-965 Poznań
tel.:(+48-61) 6652902 or (+48-61) 8790790, fax: (+48-61) 8771525
- 1969 — final secondary school examination (with honours) at the K. Marcinkowski College, Poznan
- 1974 — M.Sc. in Control Engineering (with honours), Poznan University of Technology
- 1977 — Ph.D. in Operational Research, Poznan University of Technology
- 1981 — Habilitation in Decision Sciences, Poznan University of Technology (awarded)
- 1989 — Professor’s title from the President of the Republic of Poland
- 2000 — Doctor honoris causa Faculté Polytechnique de Mons (Belgium)
- 2001 — Doctor honoris causa Université de Paris Dauphine (France)
- 2004 — Elected member of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- 2008 — Doctor honoris causa Technical University of Crete (Greece)
- June 1974 — Feb. 1976, Research-Teaching Assistant, Institute of Control Engineering, Poznan University of Technology (PUT)
- March 1976 — Feb. 1978, Research-Teaching Associate, Institute of Control Engineering, PUT
- March 1978 — Sept. 1982, Assistant Professor, Institute of Control Engineering, PUT
- Sept. 1982 — June 1989, Associate Professor, Institute of Control Engineering, PUT
- Jan. 1985 — Dec. 1989, Consultant, Centre for Education and Development in Agriculture, Poznan
- July 1989 — Aug. 1991, Professor (extraordinary), Institute of Computing Science, PUT
- Feb. 1992 — Dec. 1996, Professor (half-time), Institute of Theoretical and Applied Informatics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Gliwice
- Sept. 1991 — present, Professor (ordinary), Institute of Computing Science, Poznan University of Technology
- April 2002 — present, Professor, Systems Research Institute, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw
- Sept. 1984 — Aug. 1987, Deputy-Director of the Institute of Control Engineering, PUT
- Sept. 1987 — Aug. 1993, Deputy-Dean, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, PUT
- Nov. 1997 — June 2005, Director of Doctoral Course in Computing Science at the Faculty of Computing Science and Management, Poznan University of Technology
- 2011 — 2014, President of the Poznan Branch of the Polish Academy of
- Sept. 1989 — present, Head of the Laboratory of Intelligent Decision Support Systems, within the Institute of Computing Science, Poznan University of Technology
- 2010 — present, President of the International Rough Set Society
- European Journal of Operational Research — Editor, 1999-2006, and Editor-in-Chief, since 2007
- Fuzzy Sets and Systems — Area Editor, Decision Analysis, 1998-2001
- Foundations of Computing and Decision Sciences — Editor, since 1991
- Foundations of Control Engineering — Associate Editor, 1977-1990
Member of Editorial Boards:
- "Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis" (J.Wiley)
- "Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making" (Springer)
- "Revue des Systèmes de Décision" (Hermès)
- "Fuzzy Sets and Systems" (Elsevier)
- "International Journal of Operational Research" (Elsevier)
- "Central-European Journal of Operational Research" (Springer)
- "Operational Research – An International Journal" (Springer)
- "International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science" (UZG)
- "Transactions on Rough Sets " (Springer)
- "Badania Operacyjne i Decyzje" (PWr)
- "Enterprise Information Systems" (Tylor & Francis)
- "European Journal of Industrial Engineering" (Interscience)
- "International Journal of Applied Fuzzy Sets Theory" (Research Sciences Press)
- "The Journal of Financial Decision Making" (Klidarithmos)
- "Journal of Applied Computer Science" (PŁ)
- "European Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics" (open access online journal)
- "The Open Cybernetics & Systemics Journal" (open access online journal)
- "Journal of Multicriteria Decision Making in Economics & Finance" (Inderscience)
Invited Lectures at:
University of Missouri-Columbia (USA), University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (USA), York University – Toronto (Canada), Universite Laval – Quebec (Canada), Hosei University-Tokyo (Japan), Kyoto University (Japan), Ben Gurion University – Beer Sheva (Israel), Tel Aviv University (Israel), Technion Haiffa (Israel), Leipzig University of Technology (Germany), University of Bochum (Germany), Fern University – Hagen (Germany), Hohenheim University-Stuttgart (Germany), J.W. Goethe University – Frankfurt (Germany), University of Passau (Germany), University of Siegen (Germany), University of Saarbrucken (Germany), Eindhoven University of Technology (Holland), Stichting Mathematische Centrum – Amsterdam (Holland), Erasmus University – Rotterdam (Holland), National University of Athens (Greece), Technical University of Crete – Chania (Greece), IIASI-CNR – Roma (Italy), University of Catania (Italy), University of Palermo (Italy), Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (Switzerland), University of Sevilla (Spain), Technical University of Lisbon (Portugal), University of Coimbra (Portugal), Universite Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium), Faculte Polytechnique de Mons (Belgium), Universite Catholique de Louvain (Belgium), Université de Liège (Belgium), University of Antwerp (Belgium), IIASA – Laxemburg (Austria), University of Aston (Great Britain), Universite de Paris Dauphine (France), Universite de Paris Jussieu (France), Universite de Technologie de Compiègne (France), ENST – Telecom-Paris (France), BRGM – Orleans (France), INSEAD – Fontainebleau (France), LAAS-CNRS – Toulouse (France), Konan University – Kobe (Japan), University of Hong-Kong (China), University of Rome – La Sapienza (Italy), Kansai University – Osaka (Japan), University of Auckland (New Zealand).
- Polish Information Processing Society — founding member
- Polish Cybernetic Society — President of Poznań Branch, 1987-1992
- Association of Polish Operational Research Societies (APROS) — vice-president, since 1993
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFOR) — member
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society — senior member
- International Rough Set Society — member of Advisory Board since 1995
- EURO Council — second Polish Representative
- Committee of Computer Science, Polish Academy of Sciences — member since 1990
- Committee of Control Engineering and Robotics, Polish Academy of Sciences — member since 1993
- Chairman of the Jury of the EURO Gold Medal 2007
- European Research Council — panel expert (PE6: Computer Science)
Invited presentations (plenary lectures, since 2005):
- The 17th Triennial Conference of the International Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS 2005), Honolulu, Hawaii, 11-15.07.2005.
- The Tenth International Conference on Rough Sets, Fuzzy Sets, Data Mining, and Granular Computing (RSFDGrC 2005), Regina, Sask. Canada, 31.08-3.09.2005.
- Quatrième Conférence Internationale en Recherche Opérationnelle (CIRO’05), Marrakech, 23-26.05.2005.
- 18th International Conference on Multiple Criteria Decision Making (MCDM 2006) Chania, Greece, 19-23.06.2006.
- 8th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing (ICAISC 2006), Zakopane, 25-29.06.2006.
- 5th International Summer School on Multiple-Criteria Decision Making, Kainan University, Taiwan, 09-16.07.2006.
- International Conference on “Rough Sets and Emerging Intelligent Systems Paradigms”, Warsaw, 28-30.06.2007.
- COST IC0602 International Doctoral School on Algorithmic Decision Theory: MCDA, Data Mining and Rough Sets, Troina, Italy, 11-16.04.2008.
- 2008 International Forum on Knowledge Technology, Chongqing, China, 13-14.05.2008.
Organisation of Scientific Conferences (since 2004):
- 4th International Conference on "Rough Sets and Current Trends in Computing" (RSCTC 2006), Uppsala, Sweden, 01-05.06.2004, Program Committee Chair.
- 5th International Conference on "Rough Sets and Current Trends in Computing" (RSCTC 2006), Kobe, Japan, 06-08.11.2006, General Conference Chair.
- Dagstuhl-Seminar on „Practical Approaches to Multi-Objective Optimization”, International Conference and Research Center for Computer Science, Schloss Dagstuhl, RFN, 10-15.12.2006, one of four main organizers, and co-editor of a monograph published by Springer.
- 22nd European Conference on Operational Research (EURO XXII), Prague, Czech Republic, 08-11.07.2007, Member of Program Committee.
- 3rd International Conference on "Rough Sets and Knowledge Technology"
(RSKT 2008), Chengdu, China, 17-19.05.2008, Conference Chair.
- The 2008 IEEE International Conference on Granular Computing (GrC 2008), Hangzhou, China, 26-28.08.2008, Program Chair.
- 23rd European Conference on Operational Research (EURO XXIII), Bonn, Germany, 05-08.07.2009, Member of Program Committee.
Major Awards for Scientific Research:
- Department of Technical Sciences of the Polish Academy of Sciences Award (1984)
- State Award for Scientific Achievements (Warsaw, 1988)
- Sixth EURO Gold Medal, by European Association of OR Societies (Aachen, 1991)
- Edgeworth-Pareto Award, by International Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Making (Cape Town, 1997)
- Best Theoretical Paper Award at the 5th International Conference of the Decision Sciences Institute (Athens, 1999)
- Professorial Grant of the Foundation for Polish Science (Warsaw, 2001)
- Scientific Award of the City of Poznań (Poznań, 2003)
- Annual Prize of the Foundation for Polish Science (the most prestigious Polish scientific award) (Warsaw, 2005)
Methodology and techniques of decision support, including multiple criteria decisions analysis, preference modeling and knowledge-based decision support. This methodology employs a junction of operations research and computational intelligence. His particular interest is focused on: decision support, addressing robustness issues, soft and granular computing, ordinal data mining, preference learning, modeling of uncertainty and imprecision in decision problems; rough set theory; fuzzy set theory; multiobjective optimization; project scheduling, including multiple category resources, multiple job modes, multiple criteria and uncertainty; decision support in medicine, technology, economics and environmental studies.
Author and co-author of 14 monographs, 3 textbooks for graduate students and more than 350 papers published in major scientific journals, as well as in edited monographs.
Supervised doctoral theses:
Supervisor of 24 completed Ph.D. theses in Operational Research and Computer Science.