Research at the IDSS focuses on the following fields of science:
- Methodology and techniques of decision support with an emphasis on multicriteria decision analysis (MCDA) and knowledge-based systems (KBS).
- Within MCDA framework: preference modeling, interactive procedures for multicriteria choice, sorting and ranking, multiobjective mathematical programming in deterministic or fuzzy environment.
- Within KBS framework: knowledge acquisition and representation, approximate reasoning and management of uncertainty in KBS and classification systems.
- Applications of MCDA and KBS in: water supply system programming, agriculture, regional planning, software engineering, vibroacoustic technical diagnostics, surgery, histopathology, environment, chemistry and finance.
- Granular and soft computing, including rough set theory, fuzzy set theory and neural networks
- Machine learning, data mining, knowledge discovery, intelligent data analysis and constructive induction
- Decision support from visual information
- Evolutionary computation and Biologically-inspired computing
- Artificial Life and Complex Adaptive Systems
- Project scheduling in deterministic or fuzzy environment
- Single and multiobjective metaheuristics
- Mathematical Programming
- Medical Informatics
- Software Engineering
- Information Retrieval with particular focus on text processing and search engines